State Weapon Review Obligation
Advice to States
All States are required by international law to ensure that the weapons they use in armed conflict are lawful.
IWR can assist States to fulfil their weapon review obligation by advising on:
- the mechanism for conducting a review;
- the content of internal directives or manuals for Article 36 reviews;
- reviewing authorities and their responsibilities;
- the legal review scope, process and legal considerations;
- information requirements for the legal review,
- legal tests for different international law obligations;
- review standards; and
- the style and content of review reports.